I’ve always been asked the question “Are you an extrovert or an introvert?“. I’d usually hesitate, and to be honest, my answer swayed based on my current mood. I leaned toward “extrovert” when I was more happy or in a more social setting. Then at times I leaned toward “introvert” in the comfort of my home, behind a screen being a potato. The true answer is that I’m both; so that must make me an ambivert.
Now for those of you who don’t know what an ambivert is, it’s defined as a person whose personality has a balance of extrovert and introvert features. It’s really hard to explain how you can actually be both, but I found the perfect article from Buzzfeed that helps describe exactly what I mean : 21 Signs You Might Actually Be An Ambivert. It’s actually really surprising how strongly this relates… to me, hah!
For all of you who are lazy and don’t actually want to read the Buzzfeed article, I’ll save you the heart ache and break it down for you. Let’s call it Ambivert 101, shall we?
Here are some common qualities of an ambivert:
- You love meeting new people, which is pretty odd because majority of the time you also just… well, hate people. Yes, hate is a strong word but it’s also just so fitting. Let’s be real.
- As long as you have friends by your side, you’re actually completely fine with talking to strangers. BUT, when you’re alone, suddenly you lose all confidence and get socially awkward. Thus making things awkward even when it’s not.
- You’re often confused with being the shy, quiet type but what most people don’t realize, you can turn out to also be the loud, obnoxious person in the room. Yeah, you’re that person.
- If you’re in a group of people and a topic comes up that you can contribute to, you get excited and chat away forrreeeeveeer but the moment the conversation moves, you’re back to being quiet as a mouse. Listening and observing but not offering anything.
- You are super grateful for all the people in your life and all the support. Completely full of love, but sometimes you just need a break. Space. Alone time. Being a potato binge-watching shows. Just “you” time.
- But too much alone time gets you down in the dumps. What a conundrum.
- You find yourself being able to switch from being professional and serious to fun and wild. Like there’s two of you. Oh wait, maybe that’s just a Gemini issue LOL.
- Sometimes you choose to balance others, or sometimes you choose to mirror them. For example, when they’re loud, you’re quiet. Vice versa. OR when they’re loud, so are you. It’s a mix.
Hope that just about sums up what an ambivert is. There’s plenty of stuff out there, so before you suddenly start to google what an ambivert is and how to tell if you’re really one, you should seriously read that Buzzfeed article!!! If you know any Buzzfeed article, it’s filled with fun GIFs and images so it’s a fun read. For reals.
Regardless if you’re an extrovert, introvert, or an ambivert (like me) you should always be proud of who you are. You are you and that’s always enough. Remember that 😉
But on the DL, if you just discovered you’re also an ambivert like me, or if you knew all along and thought you were alone, raise your hand up high! Embrace it!!!!
Jumpsuit: Boohoo USA