Quarter century old… wow, it completely blows my mind that I made it here. As much as I hear I’m young with my whole life ahead of me, I sure as hell feel so old. Forgive me for being #basic, but I’m sharing 25 things I’ve learned in 25 years walking this earth.
Wow, 25 years, huh?
I actually did one of these when I turned 23 (read here). Let’s see how “wise” I got since then (though I’m sure I’ll manage to have some duplicates). Some small background to keep this short and sweet: I was born on May 30th at 10:27 am. Ironically, my boyfriend’s birthday falls a few days before mine (May 27) and our anniversary is conveniently on my birthday too (8 whole years, JEEEEEZ).
In no particular order…
- Love yourself first. The rest will fall into place.
- You are never done learning and growing. Continue to seek improvement and adapt to change.
- Not everything goes according to plan. You need to be ok with that.
- You can’t change the things of the past, so don’t dwell on them. Learn from mistakes, let things go, and move on.
- You do not need validation from people whose opinions you don’t value.
- Toxic people, habits, and situations need to go. Don’t apologize for cutting off dead ends.
- If you have a dream, go for it. Stop making excuses for yourself. You never know until you try.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for something you want. The worst anyone can ever tell you is no.
- You are enough. Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
- You deserve happiness.
- Every person, moment, and experience has shaped you to who you are today regardless of how positive or negative it was. Appreciate that.
- Having a tight, small circle of friends is perfectly fine. Quality over quantity.
- We were taught that we are incomplete and not “whole” until we find someone. That mindset is bullshit. You are not a half. You are whole. Anyone you’re seeking in life should always be seen as a plus or an addition to what you already have established. Do not lessen your own value.
- Adulting is hard. No one ever really prepares you for that. But you are strong and you will get through anything you set your mind to.
- Who cares if the glass is half empty or half full? The glass is refillable. That’s all that matters.
- You do not ever need to feel like you have to bear the full weight of everything on your shoulders. You are not alone. Asking for help is never a sign of weakness. If anything, it’s a sign of strength.
- The grass is greener where you water it.
- Being adopted has opened my eyes to the fact that I was chosen, not tossed away.
- When multiple people are telling you the same thing, listen. There have been many cases where you are blinded by the truth or ignore it blissfully.
- Pick and choose your battles wisely. Not every war is worth fighting.
- Some things are out of our control. Instead of trying to fight it, embrace the situation full on, and do all you can to make the best of it.
- Being a homebody is not a bad thing. You define what you enjoy. #JOMO
- Giving people the benefit of the doubt is one thing, but know when enough is enough. Do not let yourself be taken advantage of time and time again.
- Blood does not define family. Unconditional love does.